How to connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod to TV: Apple TV
The connection between your iOS device and Apple TV works through a special function that your iOS device should support – AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring.
The AirPlay feature allows users to stream music, movies, photos and games from one Apple device to another AirPlay-enabled device. AirPlay Mirroring is an updated version of AirPlay that allows you to clone the entire desktop on a Mac or the home screen on an iPhone & iPad to the TV screen with the FilmOn app. The whole screen will be mirrored until you click on a video channel - it will then automatically play only that channel in fullscreen.
Devices supporting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring:
- AirPlay is available on all devices running iOS 4.3 or later. Some features require the latest software.
- AirPlay Mirroring is available with iPad 2 or later; iPad mini; iPhone 4s; iPhone 5, 5S, 5C; iPod touch (5th generation); and iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer) with Mountain Lion.
Apple TV requirements:
- Second-generation Apple TV or later required.
AirPlay Mirroring instructions:
- Make sure both your Apple TV and iOS device are connected to internet via the same network.
- Enable Home Sharing in the Settings of your iOS device.
- Double click on the home button on your iOS device - that will take you to a menu on bottom of the screen with all applications that are currently running. Scroll twice to the left (by swiping with your finger tip to the right.
- Click on the AirPlay button with a blue rectangle and triangle in it, choose Apple TV from the list of available devices and turn on Mirroring. Once you've done that, your iPad's screen will be shared with your Apple TV - whatever you play on your iPad will be shown on your Apple TV. If you don't see an AirPlay Button when you scroll to the left in the home menu, click here for troubleshooting: AirPlay Troubleshooting.
If you have trouble with AirPlay on Mac running OS X Mountain Lion, click here: AirPlay on Mac